Central Group recognizes the importance of managing used plastic bottles effectively and has therefore launched “Empty Bottles, Full Possibilities” project to promote waste management for used plastic bottles by sorting waste at its origin, adding value to the waste, and recycling it into something usable. The project is done in partnership with Phothiyalai Center, Wat Chak Daeng, and Our Khung BangKachao waste management group, under “Sort Bottles to Fight COVID-19”. Thai people are invited to donate used PET bottles and HDPE bottles to be converted into PPE suits to protect people against COVID-19. The PPE suits will be donated to monks at 128 temples to use when performing religious ceremonies for those who’ve lost their lives due to COVID-19, and to garbage collectors who have to deal with contaminated waste. The “Empty Bottles, Full Possibilities” project aims to produce 10,000 PPE suits using more than 200,000 plastic bottles.
Pichai Chirathivat, Executive Director of Central Group, said, “Central Group has always cared about the environment and we’ve adopted the circular economy approach to treat waste effectively from upstream to downstream. We have joined forces within the Group, uniting Central Retail, Central Pattana, and Central Restaurants Group, to introduce the “Empty Bottles, Full Possibilities” project under the “Sort Bottles to Fight COVID-19” campaign. We have set up donation points to collect used plastic bottles and invited people to make donations through donation boxes at Central Group stores and shopping centers nationwide. The bottles will be turned into quality PPE suits to help protect people against COVID-19, donated to 128 temples for monks to wear while performing religious ceremonies, and to garbage collectors who face risks of contaminated waste.
The campaign aims to produce at least 10,000 PPE suits, recycling more than 200,000 plastic bottles, thereby reducing 45 tons of greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, the campaign also generates more than 450,000 baht of income for Wat Chak Daeng Community Enterprise in producing PPE suits.
Those who are interested in contributing can support this project through the following channels:
- PET and HDPE plastic donation points
- Thai Watsadu Bang Na, Bang Phli, Suksawat, and Sukhaphiban 3
- Central Shopping Centers in Bangkok and other provinces such as centralwOrld, Central West Gate, Central East Ville, Central Ladprao, Central Rama II, and Central Pinklao.
- Robinson Lifestyle Ladkrabang, Samutprakan, Chachoengsao andSrisaman.
- Donate to Thai Environmental Corporation Foundation and Wat Chak Daeng
- Make donations through donation boxes at Tops, Central FOod Hall, Central Department Store, Robinson Department Store, OfficeMate and B2S.
- Make donations on www.tham-dee.com/projects/pettobeppe.
- Make donations via Thai Environmental Corporation Foundation account, Bangkok Bank, account number 118-460104-3
- Make donations via Wat Chak Daeng account, Kasikorn Bank, account number 046-3-999-51-1
For mode details and ways to support this campaign, check out online platforms of Central Group, Central Retail, Central Pattana and Central Tham.